Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Our Sages are Like Angels and Their Council is a Mother's Hug

I once had the merit to witness a most heartrending scene; a young single mother had to tell her son that they may lose their house. He tried to hold back his tears and was almost successful. She told him not to worry, they would always have a roof over their heads and a bed to sleep in. "That's not your job", she told him, "it is my job. Your job is to be happy and do your best in school." I even heard him murmur, "This is not helping." Then she just hugged him; and he was soothed. He needed that hug, not the words. A bit later I asked him what his main worry was (I wondered why those reassurances had not helped); and now we calmly discussed the situation. Now he needed the words and was able to process them in a mature way.

After thinking about this for a few days, I have a new understanding of a chazal that I seem to have misunderstood for years. That gemara in Shabbos, 112b, says:
אמר ר' זירא אמר רבא בר זימונא אם ראשונים בני מלאכים אנו בני אנשים ואם ראשונים בני אנשים אנו כחמורים
R' Zeira said in the name of Rava; if the earlier generations are angels, then we are human; if the earlier generations are human, then we are like donkeys.
If we understand that amoraim as saying the best they can be is human, what is the hope for our generation? Or, as I have seen it so starkly put, "If those great cedars can speak about themselves like that; what can we, who are barely moss on the walls, say about ourselves?" I always wondered what to do about that. "Great", I thought, "maybe I can strive to be an amoeba as I bump through life." How is that supposed to inspire? How am I supposed to strive for anything?

But I think now that intent is as follows. What is the real difference between a person and an animal? An animal only reacts; a person acts. When the bills are (over)due, and the new boss is a pain, and the house needs repairs, and the kids need attention, and... and... and... On some days I feel that I am doing really well to just react; rather than being paralyzed into inaction. Act? Are you kidding me? Maybe I should just strive to be a donkey, keeping my head down, and just plodding through. Yet Chazal, the eyes and heart of klal yisrael, tell us we can be human. How?
"R' Zeira said in the name of Rava; if the earlier generations are angels, then we are human..."
When I had cancer at the end of 1995 (yikes... last century!), I had the z'chus to meet R' Matisyahu Soloman, z"tzvk. The mashgiach came to my house. I was barely frum, my wife and I had just made a major life decision to move to Chicago so our children would have a proper Torah Jewish environment and education -- and I get cancer. So I asked the mashgiach, "What does HaShem want from me?" It sounds trite, but his face was glowing. I didn't feel that I was looking at a human being, I was looking at an angel. I will never forget the feeling I got from his beautiful countenance and the tone of his reply; I felt hugged. His wise counsel was said with such confidence and concern that I absolutely felt that everything would be ok. That feeling carried me through chemotherapy and beyond. I now had the ישוב הדעת/presence of mind to take a step back and make decisions. I felt human. (He said something very important, but it was something I could not really appreciate at the time; though I have often repeated it and tried to make it real to me. That is for another time.)
"...if the earlier generations are human, then we are like donkeys."
If I had looked at the mashgiach, shlita, as a person -- albeit a great person -- I would have felt, "Sure, he can handle life, because he is a great person. I am not a great person, I barely even feel human, so I can't handle it." That is what R' Zeira is saying. The only way to be human is to connect yourself to HaShem. The only way to connect yourself to HaShem is "shimush chachamim" -- dedication to learning and living Torah as transmitted to us generation after generation from Har Sinai till today. What is an angel but a messenger from HaShem. If we take the lessons from the previous generation and look at them as messengers from HaShem, then we can be human. If we look at them as human, then we are not connecting to HaShem, and we are barely donkeys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc