Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Shabbos Is for Connecting to HaShem

One of the most difficult classes I had in graduate school was quantum mechanics. One of the most difficult problems we solved was to construct the complete description of the hydrogen atom. It used all the math we had learned until that time and added more.  It took us three weeks; every class period for three weeks was dedicated to nothing but determining that solution.  (You can check here, if you like, to get a flavor of the complexity.)  About two weeks in, I stopped the professor and asked, "Wait... what are we doing?"  All I saw was three chalkboards filled with equations.  When I looked in my notes, all I saw was page after page of equations. He looked at me a bit quizzically and said, "We're solving the hydrogen atom." I was so mired in the details that I needed a reminder of the big picture.

I spent a very nice week working from Boca Raton last week.  (Long story about why and how that worked out; but it did.) The rabbi there likes to present a halachic issue on Friday night to "seed" the conversation at the Shabbos table. That week the discussion was whether one is allowed to study on Shabbos for a test on Monday; if so, what might be the issues. Of course there is the problem of preparing on Shabbos for a weekday. There are certain topics that are just off the table, such as history. There are some topics that may lead one to write (math), so special care needs to be taken. Don't forget the ever popular: but is it in the spirit of Shabbos?  Very cool; lively discussion at shul; expected lively discussion at Shabbos table.

At an appropriate juncture, my son-in-law posed the question: Do you think it is ok to study for a test on Shabbos?  My eldest granddaughter (bless her beautiful heart) answered without hesitation, "No.  Shabbos is a day for coming closer to HaShem." End of discussion. Nothing about the spirit of Shabbos, the topic of the test, the possible prohibitions that might be transgressed, the preparation. I was so proud.

There is a saying: Keep your head in the clouds and feet on the ground. Of course all those details are precisely an issue because Shabbos is a day to come closer to HaShem. All the prohibitions are nothing more -- nor less -- that removing the barriers to building a closer relationship with HaShem. Think: How many times can you remember turning down an opportunity to connect with your grandparents, but you were busy. Your parents; but you were busy. Your spouse; but you were too busy. My grandparents and parents are no longer available. I didn't grow up with Shabbos, so I had no scheduled time to focus my attention on what's important.

Baruch HaShem, I still have a spouse, and children, and grandchildren... and Shabbos to put the world in the background so I can come closer to my spouse, my children, my grandchildren, and HaShem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Love in the Time of Corona Virus/Anxiously Awaiting the Mashiach

Two scenarios: Scenario I: A young boy awakened in the middle of the night, placed in the back of vehicle, told not to make any noise, and the vehicle speeds off down the highway. Scenario II: Young boy playing in park goes to see firetruck, turns around to see scary man in angry pursuit, poised to attack. I experienced and lived through both of those scenarios. Terrifying, no? Actually, no; and my picture was never on a milk carton. Here's the context: Scenario I: We addressed both set of our grandparents as "grandma" and "grandpa". How did we distinguish? One set lived less than a half hour's drive; those were there "close grandma and grandpa". The other set lived five hour drive away; they were the "way far away grandma and grandpa". To make the trip the most pleasant for all of us, Dad would wake up my brother and I at 4:00AM, we'd groggily -- but with excitement! -- wander out and down to the garage where we'd crawl

Thought for the Day: אוושא מילתא Debases Yours Shabbos

My granddaughter came home with a list the girls and phone numbers in her first grade class.  It was cute because they had made it an arts and crafts project by pasting the list to piece of construction paper cut out to look like an old desk phone and a receiver attached by a pipe cleaner.  I realized, though, that the cuteness was entirely lost on her.  She, of course, has never seen a desk phone with a receiver.  When they pretend to talk on the phone, it is on any relatively flat, rectangular object they find.  (In fact, her 18 month old brother turns every  relatively flat, rectangular object into a phone and walks around babbling into it.  Not much different than the rest of us, except his train of thought is not interrupted by someone else babbling into his ear.) I was reminded of that when my chavrusa (who has children my grandchildrens age) and I were learning about אוושא מילתא.  It came up because of a quote from the Shulchan Aruch HaRav that referred to the noise of תקתוק

Thought for the Day: David HaMelech's Five Stages of Finding HaShem In the World

Many of us "sing" (once you have heard what I call carrying a tune, you'll question how I can, in good conscience, use that verb, even with the quotation marks) Eishes Chayil before the Friday night Shabbos meal.  We feel like we are singing the praises of our wives.  In fact, I have also been to chasunas where the chasson proudly (sometimes even tearfully) sings Eishes Chayil to his new eishes chayil.  Beautiful.  Also wrong.  (The sentiments, of course, are not wrong; just a misunderstanding of the intent of the author of these exalted words.) Chazal (TB Brachos, 10a) tell us that when Sholmo HaMelech wrote the words "She opens her mouth Mwith wisdom; the torah of kindness is on her tongue", that he was referring to his father, Dovid HaMelech, who (I am continuing to quote Chazal here) lived in five worlds and sang a song of praise [to each].  It seems to me that "world" here means a perception of reality.  Four times Dovid had to readjust his perc