Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: A Leniency for Pesach! Kashering Knives and Switching Meat with Dairy Vessels

When I was but a wee lad, my grandfather taught me an essential life lesson... that's wrong; while I was but a wee lad, one of the essential life lessons that my grandfather taught me was how to flatten a rolled sheet of paper.  Just laying it flat, of course, doesn't do the trick.  He taught me that to flatten something that has been rolled, you need to roll it the other way.  That essential "trick" works on a much broader venue than just sheets of paper, of course.  The most explicit example in the Jewish year is the עשרת ימי תשובה, the ten days from Rosh HaShanah through Yom Kippur, inclusive.  The Shulchan Aruch says that one should take extra stringencies on oneself during that time as part of the whole repentance package.  We are extra scrupulous for 10 days a year -- doing things that are beyond our normal capability to sustain -- in order to straighten out our twisted souls.

Pesach, of course, is also known for its stringencies regarding חמץ.  We not only buy specially prepared and checked food, we cover every counter and its brother in aluminum foil, we kasher our ovens on blast furnace mode, and even use completely separate pots, pans, utensils, and dishes.  In case of great need, though, one may kasher his utensils.
NOTE: All the modern poskim urge acquiring pots, pans, utensils, and dishes that are only for use on Pesach.  Especially now-a-days that such things are relatively cheap and even cheaper disposable is readily available.
If you do, however, need to kasher vessels for Pesach, there is a whole siman 451 to guide you; not for the faint of heart.  The basic idea is, however it went in, that's how it comes out.  It a spoon was only used to stir coffee in your mug, which is a  כלי שני, then you only need to kasher it in a כלי שני.  Of course, though, we are super stringent, so we will require kashering in a כלי ראשון על גבי האש/a pot of boiling water that is still sitting on the flame.  If it is a roasting pan, where the חמץ went in with dry heat, we will require something like a blow torch to kasher it; or put it in the oven on self-cleaning mode.

Knives are different, for some reason.  The Mishna Brura doesn't really say why they are different, just that the are treated differently.  Even though a knife might be occasionally used straight over the fire (cutting into that juicy steak on the barbecue, for example), since most of the use of a knife is with hot liquids (at worst), we are allowed to kasher it in a כלי ראשון על גבי האש.

As long as we are talking leniences on Pesach, here's another one:  Usually you are not allowed to kasher a meat utensil to use for dairy nor vice versa.  The concern is that if we were allowed to do that, we'd rely on that all the time, and we'd forget sometime and accidentally use a dairy utensil with meat and end up eating really milk/meat food; חס ושלום.  However, once you are kashering a utensil for Pesach, you can even kasher a yearly dairy vessel to be used for meat during (and after, now) Pesach.

Amazing, right?  I mean... it is Pesach... how much leniency were you really expecting?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Battling the Evil Inclination on all Fronts

Yom Kippur.  When I was growing up, there were three annual events that marked the Jewish calendar: eating matzos on Passover, lighting candles on Chanuka, and  fasting on Yom Kippur.  Major news organizations around the world report on the "surreal" and "eerie" quiet of the streets in even the most secular neighborhoods of Israel.  Yom Kippur.

As you know, I am observant of Jewish law.  Some have even called me "ultra orthodox" (not in a kind way).  Given that, I have a question.  How likely do you think that I would be tempted to eat on Yom Kippur, that most holy day of the year?  Let's make the scale zero to ten, where zero is "as likely as driving through McDonald's on Shabbos and ordering a Big Mac with extra cheese." and ten is "as likely as breathing regularly".  Take your time.  If you answered "zero"; thank you, but -- sadly and penitently -- no.  The answer is more like nine; I'd like to say lower, but i…

Thought for the Day: Using a Mitzvah Object for Non-Mitzvah Purposes

As I am -- Baruch HaShem -- getting older, I am more cognizant of the fact that I'd like to stay as healthy as possible right up the moment I leave this world.  Stuff hurting is not the problem (I am told there is an old Russian saying that once you are 40, if you wake up and nothing hurts -- you're dead), stuff not working, however, is a problem.  To that end, for several years now I commute to work by bicycle (weather permitting, 30 minutes on an elliptical machine when weather does not permit).  I recently took up some upper body weight training.  Not because I want to be governor of California, just simply to slow down loss of bone mass and extend my body's healthy span.  Simple hishtadlus.  I have an 18 month old grandson who is just the right weight for arm curls (yes... I am that weak), so I do about 10 reps when I greet him at night.  He laughs, I get my exercise; all good.  (Main problem is explaining to the older ones why zeidy can't give them the same "…

Thought for the Day: Coming Into This World for Torah, Avodah, and Acts of Loving Kindness

This TftD is so self-serving that I should be embarrassed.  But I am not... talking about grandchildren is always off budget.  I have, bli ayin hara, a beautiful new grandson; born at 6:11 PM CDT last Friday night.  The secular (aka -- by me, anyway -- slave) date is October 20, 2017 CE.  The Hebrew (aka Real) date is certainly Rosh Chodesh חשון/Cheshvan and certainly in the year 5778 since Creation.  The date, you ask... good question!

Sundown on Friday night was 6:01 PM CDT, which means he was born either at the end of the last day of תשרי or the beginning of the first day of Cheshvan; a period know as בין השמשות/twilight.  What's the big deal, you ask... I am so glad you asked.  We all deal quite handily with בין השמשות every week and every holiday; we're just stringent.  We start Shabbos and the first day of Yom Tov before בין השמשות; that is, before sundown.  Likewise, we end Shabbos and the first day of Yom Tov after בין השמשות; some 42, 50, 60, or 72 minutes after sundo…