Skip to main content

Thought for the Day: Is HaShem Really Stressed Out About All Those Details?! Maybe...

My manager is respectfully curious about my religious beliefs.  There is, of course, the practical reason of being able to schedule around my constraints and having an idea that such and such could be a problem for me.  There is also, though, a friendly curiosity  When I told him about the mezuzah, for example, after hearing that it is parchment with verses from scripture, I wanted to know if one were at liberty to choose the verses he wanted.  "I know what I'd put on the mezuzah for my kids' rooms -- honor your parents and something about the punishment for failure to comply."  I noted that while I sympathize with his motivations; no, we don't get to choose the verses.  In fact, there are many more rules than simply which verses to use.

I then told him there is a joke about an Israeli kid who sees a Christmas tree for the first time and, when told it is an object they use in their religion, he asked, "So how tall does it need to be?  Haow many branches does it need?  How many needles per inch are needed on the branches? etc, etc, etc (I guess the kid had also been to Siam).  At which point my manager asked, "Does G-d really stress out about all that stuff; all those details?"  He then immediately (being a manager and concerned about HR) answered his own question, "Oh; I guess He does."  I told him that we have 613 commandments -- not the 10 he's heard of, those were only headline announcements at Mount Sinai.  We consider the 613 commandments to be 613 channels of opportunity to come close to HaShem.  Therefore, of course, the details are very important to us in order for us to perfect our connection to the Creator.

It's a good answer and it satisfied him.  I have a standing mashal/parable comparing this world to a symphony.  The non-Jews are the audience, the Jewish people are the orchestra; HaShem the author and conductor.  It works.  You can understand from there why the non-Jews only have seven mitzvos; six "don't do"s and one to establish courts of law.  After all, the audience is there to enjoy the show and their only obligation is to not disturb their neighbors (don't smoke, don't talk during the performance, etc).  You can also understand why there are different kinds of Jews with well defined roles -- cohein, leivi, yisrael; man, woman; scholars, business men.  To play a symphony requires brass, woodwinds, strings, and percussion.  The violinist can't play the oboe's part; it is only when each is doing what the Creator assigned him in the manner it was assigned that music is produced.  If everyone does what they feel at the moment all you have a cacophonous noise.  Which also explains why the nations of the world get cranky with us when we are not fulfilling our roles as Torah Jews.

There's more to say, but you get the idea.  But I realized there is more.  It isn't just a conductor with an orchestra he put together to play his music.  Banim atem LaShem/you are the children of HaShem!  How would that conductor feel if the orchestra were entirely composed of his children?  And he, the conductor, trained each one according to each's own strengths.  And this is not any symphony -- it is his magnus opum; the culmination of  his life's work.  Their perfection is his perfection, his perfection shines and is elevated only through their rendition of his work.  Any parent knows the depth of the joy and fear of parenthood.

Maybe HaShem does sweat the details; those are His children.  We are His children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day: Battling the Evil Inclination on all Fronts

Yom Kippur.  When I was growing up, there were three annual events that marked the Jewish calendar: eating matzos on Passover, lighting candles on Chanuka, and  fasting on Yom Kippur.  Major news organizations around the world report on the "surreal" and "eerie" quiet of the streets in even the most secular neighborhoods of Israel.  Yom Kippur.

As you know, I am observant of Jewish law.  Some have even called me "ultra orthodox" (not in a kind way).  Given that, I have a question.  How likely do you think that I would be tempted to eat on Yom Kippur, that most holy day of the year?  Let's make the scale zero to ten, where zero is "as likely as driving through McDonald's on Shabbos and ordering a Big Mac with extra cheese." and ten is "as likely as breathing regularly".  Take your time.  If you answered "zero"; thank you, but -- sadly and penitently -- no.  The answer is more like nine; I'd like to say lower, but i…

Thought for the Day: Using a Mitzvah Object for Non-Mitzvah Purposes

As I am -- Baruch HaShem -- getting older, I am more cognizant of the fact that I'd like to stay as healthy as possible right up the moment I leave this world.  Stuff hurting is not the problem (I am told there is an old Russian saying that once you are 40, if you wake up and nothing hurts -- you're dead), stuff not working, however, is a problem.  To that end, for several years now I commute to work by bicycle (weather permitting, 30 minutes on an elliptical machine when weather does not permit).  I recently took up some upper body weight training.  Not because I want to be governor of California, just simply to slow down loss of bone mass and extend my body's healthy span.  Simple hishtadlus.  I have an 18 month old grandson who is just the right weight for arm curls (yes... I am that weak), so I do about 10 reps when I greet him at night.  He laughs, I get my exercise; all good.  (Main problem is explaining to the older ones why zeidy can't give them the same "…

Thought for the Day: Coming Into This World for Torah, Avodah, and Acts of Loving Kindness

This TftD is so self-serving that I should be embarrassed.  But I am not... talking about grandchildren is always off budget.  I have, bli ayin hara, a beautiful new grandson; born at 6:11 PM CDT last Friday night.  The secular (aka -- by me, anyway -- slave) date is October 20, 2017 CE.  The Hebrew (aka Real) date is certainly Rosh Chodesh חשון/Cheshvan and certainly in the year 5778 since Creation.  The date, you ask... good question!

Sundown on Friday night was 6:01 PM CDT, which means he was born either at the end of the last day of תשרי or the beginning of the first day of Cheshvan; a period know as בין השמשות/twilight.  What's the big deal, you ask... I am so glad you asked.  We all deal quite handily with בין השמשות every week and every holiday; we're just stringent.  We start Shabbos and the first day of Yom Tov before בין השמשות; that is, before sundown.  Likewise, we end Shabbos and the first day of Yom Tov after בין השמשות; some 42, 50, 60, or 72 minutes after sundo…